Sunday, August 10, 2008

God bless the BBC, PBS and the The Daily Show

August 10, 2008 - Sunday

This weekend I watched some of the best athletes in the world smack around a volleyball on the beach and make swimming thousands of meters look like fun. I love the Olympics. I'm not the competitive sort, but I really get into the idea that the entire world can look to something at the same time (that isn't a tragedy) and come together.

This summer Olympics are the first I have watched in years. In fact, I think the last time I even remember anything about the Olympics is Kerri Strug and holy sh*t! Was that really 1996? Youch. I guess school and working constantly will do that to you.

I noticed something that maybe I should've noticed awhile ago. At first I thought that because I am in the media world maybe I am more sensitive to it. But after asking my friend from Norway, maybe not. Is it just me or does the American media have the most arrogant air about them?

(I want to put a disclaimer here. I love my country. I am proud to be an American. I know that might sound cheesy, but I truly am. That being said, there are a lot of things I am embarrassed about and media, namely television, is one of them. That and McDonalds.)

I want to see *all* the athletes competing! I want to see every one of them. How many times can you show me the American competing? Aren't there a few other countries out there somewhere? Has it always been this way? (The idealist in me says no, but the realist dwelling in my basement shakes his head "Yes you idiot!") I guess that's just reason number 4,217 to kill your television.

No comments: