Monday, September 8, 2008

"1984" scares me, or Nobody said life is fair

September 8, 2008 - Monday

When I was younger I had to earn all of my money to buy a car. My younger sisters both had cars at 16 and no, they didn't buy them. I paid for college myself. I don't want to know how they paid for their educations.

I'm not trying to whine--I'm over all that. I've just been curious as to why exactly it was OK to help them and not me. And this curiosity leads me to look at a bigger picture and ask:

Why is it that much of the conservative party will use big government to bail us out of economic crisis but not environmental or social crisis? What makes one more special than the other? Why is it OK on one hand to help out ailing banks with unethical lending practices and on the other hand watch as food prices and obesity rates soar and fast food prices go down?

Bail out the rich and leave the masses to wallow in their reality TV and Taco Bell. I guess I just have to take comfort in the fact that not everyone thinks like certain Republicans.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't you remember the job in biwabik that dad took just so you and laura could work it to earn your car $ - laura worked 2 days and you worked one (her car cost more). Remember the Oak Hills college money? then you got married... not that anyone wants to get into a p.contest, after all it's your blog :) luv ya, mom