Thursday, February 11, 2010

We interrupt this week's optimist message for a minor crisis of philosophy


A few weeks ago the big boss at work said I was too happy. And a few minutes later someone used the adjective "bubbly" to describe me. Between the two I was mildly disturbed, but I let it go.

Since then I had been wondering (especially in my quest for balance): Is too much optimism a bad thing? Can it be used as a defense mechanism? Is it synonymous with delusional? In other words, is denial more than just a river in Egypt?

I know it's "normal" to be sad sometimes. But I never said I was normal. I've just been wondering if maybe, in my journey toward the less extreme, I should consider being less optimistic.

As if to answer my question, a coworker put a quote from Mahatma Gandhi in front of me yesterday:
Keep your thoughts positive, because your thoughts become your words.
Keep your words positive, because your words become your behavior.
Keep your behavior positive, because your behavior become your habits.
Keep your habits positive, because your habits become your values.
Keep your values positive, because your values become your destiny.

I still have the question in my head, but it made me feel better. Thanks Gandhi!

5 comments:

MeAgain said...

I'm working my way from the opposite extreme and I'm looking for balance but if an extreme must be had, I'd rather the scales tip your way than mine. So would my family. I'd rather overdose on sunshine and rainbows than rage.

Love the quote; I'm stealing it just so you know. If you knew be better you'd know I steal things.

Ms. Becca said...

I think I'll steal your quote then: "I'd rather overdose on sunshine and rainbows than rage."

Steal away lady. And good luck with the positive outlook :)

Anonymous said...

When I started my current job, one of my bosses had that saying on his desk. Since I was reading this blog today at work, I found the circular reference funny.

Now, my job has also had ups and downs. There was one point at which to feel emotion was a bad thing. Unhappiness brought bitter backstabbing words from others. Happiness and laughter was frowned upon. Having to remain in perfect check all the time made me feel like a robot. That's no way to live.

Since then, I've come to believe that learning to live also means allowing yourself to have fun. Fun makes people happy and bubbly. It allows you to be open and positive. That's when magic happens! To me, happiness is balance and unhappiness is unbalanced.

I love the quote about overdosing on sunshine! Put me in that boat.

MeAgain said...

Sorry it took so long. I was out sick all last week. I rememberd you wanted my quit smoking counter. This is where I got it :)

http://www.xarka.com/freeware/

Ms. Becca said...

Thanks lady! I am definitely going to check that out :)

Dawn: Magic is rad. And I think you're right. Happiness is balanced because when you're balanced it results in positive things for everyone around you.