Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Cut your mirror some slack

A friend of mine recently joined a pilates group at her gym. She loved it. She sang its praises! Naturally, I agreed. Then the gym changed the space where her group met.

She was bummed about the new space because it was full of mirrors. "Before I could imagine I looked cool doing pilates," she said. "Now I just see how much I have to improve."

Earlier that same week I had covered one of my mirrors with photographs because I was so tired of constantly critiquing my workout. And I'm no beginner.

It got me thinking about reflections and how much credit we give them. When I look in the mirror, I'm only seeing an image. It's not me; it's backwards me.



Reflections are good teachers. They can guide you. But they are no substitute for the real thing. Only we can make our reflections move.

I propose we give our reflections a break and start believing what our minds see. You're a natural at pilates. My belt looks great with these jeans. Every day is a good hair day. I'd be willing to bet our reflections will follow suit.

5 comments:

MeAgain said...

I gave up listening to my reflection for lent. When I look in the mirror I now see a superhero. On a good day I can even hear the purple cape fluttering in the breeze.

GREAT post my Universe Sister :)

Ms. Becca said...

Thanks...that means a lot! You are such an inspiration to me...truly you are a super hero! And I LOVE the fact that your cape is purple.

Welsh Tramp said...

Nice read.

I had a few thoughts on this after i read it, Philosophy of the mind covers mirror images, what we see is not a real image at all but one made up one in our mind.

Its also interesting to note we are the only beings that can associate a mirror image with it being of ourself, if so then the image reflects more than just a two dimensional image but can also reflect our inner-emotions to.

Sarah said...

It's not me; it's backwards me.

Wow. I've never in my life thought of it like that. You're completely right! When we look in a mirror, we're not even looking at yourselves, we're looking at a flipped-up version.

I guess that's maybe why I don't like mirrors much. I only use them for random colorful eye makeup! xD

Ms. Becca said...

Welsh Tramp: So them a mirror can reflect self-actualization. Nice.

Sarah: Eye makeup is the most fun!